Manufactured using modern advanced technology the RS Aero answers the need for a new standard in one design racing and has earned rave reviews the world over.
The Aero started a revolution when it was released in 2015. Within two years, it was hosting Worlds with 100+ boats. This is truly the first singhlanded boat we’ve sold that has generated true excitement and passion out of the gate. The Aero offers more to like the more you get to know it. It is incredibly light - with a hull weight of 67 lbs (less than any boat we sell, and half the weight of other boats in the size range). It has a full epoxy hull with carbon reinforcement - a carbon mast and boom, carbon foils and a very modern sail plan. At an 88 lb fully rigged sailing weight, the Aero is ~50lbs(!) less than the hulls of other singlehanders. That lightness creates a sailing sensation that isn’t replicated anywhere else. The Aero will refine your skills, and reminds customers the world over why they got into dinghy sailing in the first place. With three rig options, men, women, and kids can experience the joy of a modern dinghy designed in the 21st century. Thousands sold worldwide, with close to 400 in the US by 2019. There are ~150 just on the West Coast of North America, from Vancouver to San Diego.
- Chined hull design for stability at speed.
- Knife edge bow for upwind performance.
- Tapered width to reduce weight, while offering max width for righting moment.
- Reinforced mast step, with collar and with drain hole and integrated wear protector.
Three Rig System
- Dynamic three rig system for different sailor weights & conditions.
- 2-piece carbon mast section with interchangeable lower mast (Same setup as other popular dinghies).
- Top mast and boom are the same for all rigs.
- Mast track and halyard for ease of raising sail in any conditions.
- Modern composite mast allows for significant depowering in windy conditions.
- Vang, Cunningham, and Outhaul controls led to side decks for easy access.
Sails & Blades
- High denier Dacron sail fabric for shape and long life.
- Glass/Carbon blades are CNC milled.
- Vertical daggerboard for ease of use and minimal drag.
- Powerful rudder blade design gives endless control.
- Epoxy glass & carbon composite construction with a foam core.
- Everything non-essential removed to reduce weight and add durability.
- CNC machined tooling for maximum control over shape and symmetry.
- Designer: Jo Richards/RS Sailing
- Length: 13 feet 2 inches
- Beam: 4 feet 7 inches
- Hull Weight: 67 lbs
- Construction: Epoxy glass & carbon composite with foam core
- Mast: 2-part carbon composite
- Boom: Carbon composite
- Foils: Epoxy composite with foam core
Is the RS Aero the 'Laser' Replacement?
Some people call it that, and thousands have been sold to customers who traditionally sailed Lasers. It's not quite a 1:1 comparison, as the Aero is faster, lighter and 40 years more modern in design. But, they both tend to target the same sailors.
Read All RS Aero Common Questions & Answers
Can you tell me a bit more about how ordering a boat works?
We can walk you through the process from start to finish. Below read our most Frequently Asked Questions that will answer a lot of your questions.
Read More About Order a Boat from West Coast Sailing
I've read all about your boats, but I still have questions... can you answer those?
Happily. And we feel you, it's not always easy to get all the information from a single webpage. We've prepared some FAQs to take the mystery out of researching our boats.
Read Our Complete Guide Finding Your Perfect Sailboat
Boat Delivery is going to be expensive, isn't it?
Despite their size, we are able to ship most boats around North America safely and inexpensively. While boats don't qualify for free shipping, we do subsidize the cost for each customer to keep it reasonable. To see your exact cost, add a boat to your cart and it will show an exact flat rate cost as you checkout. Typically, small boats ship for $300-$600, medium sized boats ship for $400-$800, and larger boats, such as the RS Venture or RS21, ship for $700-$1200.
Why West Coast Sailing
We represent a dozen sailboat brands from all around the world. Our dinghy sailboat inventory is second to none, with at least 100 boats in stock in our warehouse at any time. Our staff has extensive experience sailing, racing, rigging, coaching and delivering boats worldwide. This is what we do:
- Selection – 70+ models of boats from manufacturers around the world.
- Service – Our staff is focused on helping you Own The Water.
- Experience – The team here has decades of experience on all types of dinghies.
- Inventory – Over $1million of boats and parts inventory in stock at all times.
- Logistics – We have experience shipping boats all over the world, at reasonable rates, quickly.
- Rigging – We rig most boats by hand, and stand behind our work.
- Long Term Support – We are a leader in our industry, and we didn't get here by cutting corners. We have your back.
- Apparel and Accessories – We have the apparel, accessories, trailers and dollies to go with each boat.