Self bailing, confidence inspiring and safe. No bailing required or outside assistance during a capsize. Tough durable construction and worldwide racing fleets. This is the future.
The Tera has taken the West Coast by storm since 2015. A modern, durable, simple, safe yet fun youth trainer. Compared to older ‘traditional’ youth boats, the RS Tera offers good performance in a confidence inspiring package - it's also exceeding low maintenance compared to fiberglass boats. Now in use all over North America by youth racing programs, community sailing centers, camps, and learn to sail programs - the RS Tera is a cost effective and fun boat for young sailors. If recreational sailing is all you want to do, the boat is quick to setup, easy to handle on shore, and fully self bailing while sailing. The Tera is available in two sail options, one that can be reefed easily - allowing sail area to match the wind conditions. An incredibly safe and accessible boat, it can be righted from a capsize by sailors as light as 60 pounds - unlike older designs that require outside assistance from a coach boat to be emptied of water. If racing is of interest for you or your program, this boat has an active North American Class, focused on the West Coast of the North America.
Simple & Safe
- Easy to sail - chined hull form, stable and well behaved in all conditions.
- Easy to sail, stable and well mannered in all conditions.
- Fun for all - responsive in light winds and yet planes easily in a breeze.
- Very modern - great looks, super low maintenance and contemporary sailing rig.
- Safe - unsinkable, strong and clean layout.
- Capsize friendly - self draining cockpit is righted by the smallest sailors.
Convenient & Easy To Use
- Sets up in minutes - no sail ties or rigging manuals needed.
- Transportable - light enough to *easily* car top.
- Stores easily, can be stacked and racked up almost anywhere.
- Super Strong - maintenance free construction.
- Small enough for a 60lb youngster.
- Big enough for sailors up to ~140lbs.
- Fits two small kids for social sailing.
- Youngsters can launch and recover without help.
Great Durability & Low Maintenance
- Polyethelene (PE3) construction built with state of the art three layer rotomoulding.
- Toughest outer skin - middle foam layer for stiffness - strong inner skin.
- RS build process enables additional thickness in high load areas for extra life.
- Built in buoyancy from thick foam layer.
- Strongest fittings attachment - brass inserts molded into the hull structure.
- Virtually maintenance free!
A Great Value
- RS quality - years of innovation and investment in the best tooling in the industry.
- Affordable - price competitive with any other boat on the market.
RS Tera Sport vs. RS Tera Pro
- The same boat, with the same mast, fits two sail sizes depending on sailor weight and skill.
- RS Tera Sport iserfect for juniors and small adults from 60lbs+.
- The Sport Sail is 38 sq ft reefing half battened and easy to store furled on mast.
- RS Tera Pro is perfect for juniors and small adults from 88lbs (40kg).
- Pro features a 50sq ft fully battened Mylar Pro Sail that is light and powerful
- Both boats use the same mast so you can swap between rings.
- Length: 9 feet 5 inches
- Beam: 4 feet
- Weight: 72 lbs
- Sport Reefing Sail: 38 square feet
- Pro Battened Sail: 50 square feet
How does a Tera compared to an Optimist?
The Tera is safer, more durable, more versatile and decades newer than an Opti. While Optis are used by kids at the top of the pyramid for hardcore racing - the Tera is much more appropriate for the rest of sailors. In particular, when capsized, the Tera can be self righted, and drains very rapidly - which inspires confidence. An Optimist generally requires a sailor to be assisted by a coach hovering in a power boat, or the sailors to use a bailer to work to empty their boat of water. Modern plastic boats are more durable, with almost zero maintenance - so the Tera is a durable long term asset to a club fleet or a family. The Tera is also easily accepting of two kids and has a reefable mainsail for any condition that sailors are in. Frankly, we continue to wonder why anyone would buy an Optimist for anything but the most advanced, World level serious regattas.
Read Our RS Tera FAQs
Can you tell me a bit more about how ordering a boat works?
We can walk you through the process from start to finish. Below read our most Frequently Asked Questions that will answer a lot of your questions.
Read Our Boat Ordering FAQs
I've read all about your boats, but I still have questions... can you answer those?
Happily. And we feel you, it's not always easy to get all the information from a single webpage. We've prepared some FAQs to take the mystery out of researching our boats.
Read Our Sailboat FAQs
Boat Delivery is going to be expensive, isn't it?
Despite their size, we are able to ship most boats around North America safely and inexpensively. While boats don't qualify for free shipping, we do subsidize the cost for each customer to keep it reasonable. To see your exact cost, add a boat to your cart and it will show an exact flat rate cost as you checkout. Typically, small boats ship for $300-$600, medium sized boats ship for $400-$800, and larger boats, such as the RS Venture or RS21, ship for $700-$1200.
Why West Coast Sailing
We represent a dozen sailboat brands from all around the world. Our dinghy sailboat inventory is second to none, with at least 100 boats in stock in our warehouse at any time. Our staff has extensive experience sailing, racing, rigging, coaching and delivering boats worldwide. This is what we do:
- Selection – 70+ models of boats from manufacturers around the world.
- Service – Our staff is focused on helping you Own The Water.
- Experience – The team here has decades of experience on all types of dinghies.
- Inventory – Over $1million of boats and parts inventory in stock at all times.
- Logistics – We have experience shipping boats all over the world, at reasonable rates, quickly.
- Rigging – We rig most boats by hand, and stand behind our work.
- Long Term Support – We are a leader in our industry, and we didn't get here by cutting corners. We have your back.
- Apparel and Accessories – We have the apparel, accessories, trailers and dollies to go with each boat.
CURRENT LEAD TIME & AVAILABILITY
Due to the high demand for sailboat and kayak products, the team at West Coast Sailing is working hard to bring in as much inventory as possible. We receive multiple shipments over the course of the year with our allocated number of specific models and colors. Current lead time and availability information for specific sailboat and kayak models is posted on our website:
Lead Time Table (opens in new tab)
Depending on current on hand stock and/or estimated availability, this model may be available for purchase online. Please review the following stock status information:
- Availability: IN STOCK - This indicates the option selected is physically in stock at our warehouse in Portland, OR for immediate shipping or in store pickup. Our team will contact you within one business day of receiving your order to discuss these details.
- Availability: PRE ORDER - This indicates the option selected is on one of our next shipments but has not yet be received. The estimated availability date for new preorders is listed on our Lead Time Table, which is updated weekly. Placing an order will reserve your spot in the queue for next availability, which is subject to change.
- Availability: SOLD OUT - This indicates the option selected is not currently available for preorder due to extended or unknown lead time, For an update on future availability, please see our Lead Time Table or contact our team via email at email@example.com.