This is the sail everyone has been waiting for. The Laser Standard Mark II sail is more durable due to its bi-radial construction, it is manufactured out of longer lasting 4.5 ounce Dacron cloth with optimized sail patches and the new luff tube design is easier on the upper spars. This sail includes free sail numbers and installation, plus a folded sail bag. Sourced from North Sails.
- Fits Laser Standard rigs
- Battens sold separately
- Includes basic drawstring folded sail bag
- Includes free sail numbers and installation
About The New Standard Mark II Sail
- BI-RADIAL CONSTRUCTION - The radial panel structure of the Mark II sail attempts to best match the load paths expected while sailing. The intent was to make a sail that has the shape intended while offering improved durability.
- LARGER WINDOW - A larger window increases safety by allowing sailors to visualize the race and see other boats better.
- TAPERED BATTENS - A sail shape is not an even curve. To better match the designed sail shape, the Mark II sail uses tapered battens of varying stiffness so they will best match the sail shape where they are installed.**Older style Laser battens are not compatible with the new Mark II sail**
- LUFF TUBE MAST JOINT PATCH - A long standing gripe of Laser sailors is the crease that develops from the mast joint to the clew. The patch on the Mark II is designed to greatly reduce this crease by accommodating the factors that create the crease.
- 4.5 OZ. DACRON SAILCLOTH - The 4.5 oz cloth is chosen for the Mark II sails because its engineering supports radially designed sails best and has a cloth weight that offers improved durability while not being too heavy for light air conditions.
- OPTIMIZED PATCHING - It is widely understood that the greatest loads on a sail are found at the corners. Without proper patching, large creases emanate from the corners. The best types of patches attempt to match the load path expected and with sufficient layers and size to best distribute the loads into the sail body. The Mark II patches are optimized into a radial design to match the load paths. Also notable is the tack patch that has components in the sleeve. This is designed to help the sail last longer under the stresses of high downhaul loads.
Free Sail Numbers & Installation **
West Coast Sailing was the first to provide free sail numbers and we still do! This Laser sail includes free sail numbers and sail number installation. Enter your sail number in the fields above, select your preferred sail number type (outlined below), and our expert team will install them for you in accordance with class rules. Country codes for USA, CAN, and AUS are available for an additional $10. Custom country codes available for $25 and will incur an additional 10-14 day lead time for numbering.
** Please note that while most sails are numbered same day, sail number installation may delay shipment of your order by up to 24 hours to allow our staff time to accurately apply your sail number according to class rules. If you select a UPS Expedited Shipping service (UPS Next Day Air, UPS Second Day Air, or UPS 3 Day Select) at checkout AND have requested a sail number, your sail will be shipped with sail numbers loose, rather than installed, in order to ensure that the sail ships the same day it is ordered. If you need a sail number installed on an expedited sail please contact our Customer Support Team to determine if this is feasible.
How To Find Your Sail Number
All Laser sailboats have an ISAF issued sail number. This number can be found on a sticker on the aft wall of the cockpit. Sail numbers are required for sanctioned racing events to assist with scoring. Country codes are only required at international events, and only available in black.
Sail Number Options
There are four possible sail number combinations available. Most sailors prefer the Euro style numbers in Red/Black, which is our default. Enter your sail number in the fields above and we'll install it for you at no extra cost!
- Euro (Pre Cut) Red/Black - Numbered using the pre cut European style numbers, with first 2 digits in red, last 4 in black
- Euro (Pre Cut) Red/Blue -Numbered using the pre cut European style numbers, with first 2 digits in red, last 4 in blue
- Digital Eight - Red/Black - Numbered using Digital Eight style numbers, which our team cuts on install, with first 2 digits in red, last 4 in black
- Digital Eight - Red/Blue -Numbered using Digital Eight style numbers, which our team cuts on install, with first 2 digits in red, last 4 in blue
Laser Standard Sail Mark I (Old Style) Notes
Now that the Laser Standard Sail Mark II bi-radial has been out for a few years and widely adopted by Laser sailors, the old style or Mark I (not bi-radial cut) Laser standard sails are no longer available from either North or Hyde. The Laser Sail - Standard (North), LaserPerformance Part #94107, and our SKU 21290, is no longer available. Sailors should consider this new Laser Sail - Standard Mark II (North) for racing or take a look at our practice sail options for recreational use.